Welcome, Welcome, Welcome
Here are just a few of the things we are doing in class.
We have been using apples to do math stories, learn about life cycles, and Johnny Appleseed.
In reading, we have been studying short vowel sounds, high-frequency words, and sounding out CVC words. I have begun testing the students individually over the identification of these words. They will receive a grade on their report card for being able to read all of those words. Don't forget to practice those lists in the Wrod Journal notebook each weeknight. Has your child told you about nouns, verbs, and adjectives? I hope so because we are working on using them in our writing almost every day.
We have been mapping stories from our reader identifying the title, character, setting, beginning, middle, and end. We are also working on writing a three-sentence personal narrative. All of these are evaluated on the first quarter report card.
Coming home in the book bags this week you will find the All About Me poster each child made and hung in the hallway just outside our classroom. They are so cute.
We read Charlotte's Web . I love the way the children sit so still and listen as I read to them. Speaking about reading, most of the children have taken the preliminary tests in the Reading Counts program and are taking tests over the books they read to you each night. They are earning points and winning the prizes.
Next week we will study the sun and moon, and why the changing of the seasons takes place. Then we will investigate the phases of the moon with Oreos!
We are halfway through the first quarter. I will be calling parents next week for a phone conference on your child's progress. I would prefer to touch base now, rather than wait until conferences after the first report card. As always, if you have any questions please feel free to email me.
Mrs. Lauf
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.