Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Last One

What a week, Monday we celebrated reading collectively as a class over 1.2 million words.  That is amazing.  I think back to nine months ago when these children walked into the room for the first time so eager to learn how to read.  Then now, seeing on the Reading Counts report they had logged over a million words read, I wanted to celebrate, so we had a pizza party in the garden. 
Tuesday was just as exciting with the long awaited ICE CREAM PARTY.  There was a wide variety of toppings and loads of gift cards won in the raffle.
Tomorrow we will have our own awards ceremony in the morning in our classroom with memories of the school year being shared.  Then, in the afternoon there will be the school award ceremony.  If you can attend, you should.  First grade students will receive awards.  In between both of these we will clean the room.  So, I have asked the children to bring a rag and a plastic bag to school.  The bag is to bring the wet rag home in so the inside of the book bag isn't soaking wet with all of the awards.  I have made a memory book for the children with samples of their from the beginning of the year and now in the FISH Folder they have used all year. So, look for that, too.
Thursday is BLAST OFF.  Don't forget the sunscreen.  We are outside in the afternoon.  Secondly, don't for send a lunch with your child.  The cafeteria staff will not be serving school lunch.  There is a BBQ Fundraiser going on.  However, you will have to make arrangements for the lunch to be brought to the children.  Lunch at 11:15.  We will in the garden eating.  It is a dress down day.
Friday is just a half day.  We will be attending Mass that morning.
This is my last blog of the school year.  So, I have a few reminders for you.  Please have your children read to you this summer.  Without that practice, their reading level will regress.  They have worked so hard and I want them to start second grade just as strong as they left first grade.  Also, have them write in the Friday Journal once a week during the summer.  More will be expected of them in the area of written language quickly next year.  Math facts, continue to practice them over the summer.  I can't stress that enough. 
For my last words of the year,  I want to thank all of you for sharing the wonder gift of your children with me.  I have laughed with them and cried with them.  They are like family to me.  I will miss them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.