Monday, October 22, 2018

Knee

My life has been busy the last few weeks.  Not only with teaching and getting grade cards finished but with doctor's appointments and medical tests.  You may have seen me hobbling along more than usual.  Eleven years ago I was in a head on collision that damaged my left knee.  Over the years I have had surgeries, treatments and physical therapy to help keep me mobile.  Two weeks ago at home I felt something pop in the knee and I fell.  The doctors have decided there is nothing else they can do except a total knee replacement and unfortunately it can't wait until summer.  My surgery is scheduled for December 14 and I will be out until the end of January.  Currently, Mrs Trachsel is looking for a long term substitute.  As soon as I know who that is, I will post it.  Until then, I will wear a brace and walk with a cane.  In thirty-two years of teaching, I have never missed more than a few days each school year.  So, the thought of leaving the children that long makes me uncomfortable.   But, I have thought this through carefully and made the best of the situation. Having the surgery right before Christmas has some advantages.  Instead of missing the full six weeks for recovery, I can take advantage of the Christmas break and only have four weeks of actual school days away from the children. The surgery is scheduled at the end of the second quarter.  That allows me, not a sub, to complete the testing and quarterly grades.   On a brighter note, your children are showing great concern for me.  They are pampering me and being ever so gentle, with lots of hugs.

This week we will take a break and there will not be a new list of Word Journal vocabulary.  Please use the time to review the last three lists so that the children can be successful on the reading workbook pages.
There will be math homework tonight, Tuesday and Wednesday. 
Report cards should have come home in the book bag on Friday.  If you have not, please sign up for a conference on the form sent home in the report card envelope.  I like to touch base with all parents at the end of the first quarter. 
Conferences will be on Wednesday from 3:30 to 7:30.  On Thursday we will dismiss at 1:30.  Conferences will start at 1:45 and go until 7:30.  There is no school this Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.